Friday, July 10, 2009

my babyyy.

You know that post Dooce has about when her daughter comes back after a week away and she had "missed her achingly, terribly"? Chances are, if you're reading this, that you're more into Lycra than mommy blogs, BUT, replace "week-long vacation" with "two-day tune-up and cassette change," then substitute "implausibly big" with "breathtakingly light" and the result = how I felt picking up my 'cross bike today.

Literally, because of *course* I had to shoulder it to carry it up the stairs once I got home.

Before that happened, though, I was hanging out at the shop, and ran into my former supervisor from work and his wife. They were out shopping for commuter bikes. I started talking to them about cyclocross ("basically, like steeplechase on a bike... falling is safer than on the road... but oh, one time a guy broke his nose on a barrier, that was interesting") and different parts of the bike ("you use cantilever brakes--they make stopping less effective, but they don't get as clogged with mud") and all of a sudden I was back in I-can't-shut-up-because-I-love-this-sport-so-much mode.

Much in the manner of that awful Mariah Carey song, the 'cross bike will always be my baby. Can't wait for summer 'cross racing to start... hell, I can't wait to put the knobbies back on and play in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment