Friday, April 17, 2009

race report: Wells Ave. A/B race, 12. April 2009

Three words to describe doing a combined A/B race at Wells Avenue one week after doing one's first B race: "Ow... ow... OW." While much of Boston was out at services celebrating Easter's tomb exodus, I was lining up to enter the elite Pain Cave. My fellow sufferers, including Kathy, Geoff, Loraine, Matt, and Julie, were also there, which helped.

There's not a whole lot to report about this race. I'd get dropped after one lap, catch back on for another lap or two, and get dropped again. Finally I got to the the point where I felt like merging with the pack yet again would just be rude to the elites... by the time I pulled out, with 10 to go, the only women left were three elite cyclocross racers.

The upside for me: at this time last year, I was struggling to survive five single--not consecutive, SINGLE--laps with the C race. Getting dropped by, and jumping back on to, the A/B race for an hour is a HUGE improvement for me, strength-wise. Hopefully it will aid me when I'm doing women's 3/4 races again.

No comments:

Post a Comment